Although saunas have been popular for centuries, they are not often thought of for treatments in traditional medicine. Traditionally, saunas have been unbearably hot, steamy rooms in which breathing can be difficult. But the saunas of today have technologically evolved from the harsh, 200°+ rooms they originated from to a soothing, healthy heat. Sunlighten infrared technology brings forth a therapeutic treatment that is not only relaxing but also clinically shown beneficial for your health. These saunas also help eliminate toxins, further supporting the healing process. This is one of the many reasons why infrared sauna therapy is one of the fastest-growing home therapies.
What is Infrared?
Infrared wavelengths are the invisible part of the sun’s spectrum consisting of near (NIR), mid (MIR), and far (FIR) rays. These rays have the ability to penetrate human tissue. This characteristic makes infrared beneficial because it heats the body directly at the core rather than simply warming the air resulting in a deep, detoxifying sweat at the cellular level, where the majority of toxins reside.
Infrared heat is completely safe and healthy for all living things. You can be exposed to infrared light for hours without the risk of burning. Infrared is a naturally occurring output of the sun, but does not contain the harmful UV rays associated with unprotected sunlight. In fact, infrared’s gentle heat is used in hospitals to warm newborn infants.
Not all Infrared Technology is Equal
Sunlighten’s far infrared technology, Solocarbon®, is the only infrared sauna heater on the market clinically shown to raise core temperature nearly 3 degrees. What does this mean for your health? You will experience the most detoxifying sweat, lower systolic and diastolic blood pressure, and aid in weight loss through waistline reduction.
The most advanced infrared therapy available is Solocarbon 3-in-1 infrared treatments. The infrared spectrum consists of near (NIR), mid (MIR), and far (FIR) waves, each with distinct characteristics and health benefits. Sunlighten offers all three peak wavelengths for maximum therapeutic results.
Numerous healing and preventative benefits derive from infrared therapy. Clinically-backed research shows that the different wavelengths – NIR, MIR, and FIR – are more effective than others at targeting various health benefits.
- Detoxification: Toxins such as sodium, alcohol, nicotine, cholesterol and carcinogenic heavy metals accumulate in the body during modern daily life. Studies have shown that FIR raises core body temperature stimulating the sweat glands resulting in a deep, detoxifying sweat ridding the body of toxins.
- Pain Relief: MIR can help to expand blood vessels and increase circulation allowing more oxygen to reach injured areas of the body resulting in reduced pain and a faster healing process. A NASA study using NIR heat, also determined that LED technology allows for deep penetration of tissue and increased cell growth from the inside reducing inflammation.
- Weight Control: Perspiring is part of the complex thermoregulatory process of the body that increases the heart rate, cardiac output, and metabolic rate causing the body to burn calories. Studies have shown that a 30 minute IR sauna session can burn upwards of 600 calories! A 2009 study indicated that Sunlighten infrared saunas can lower weight and waist circumference in just a 3-month period.
- Cardiovascular: During a 10-20 minute sauna session, heart rate increases by 50-75% which provides the same metabolic result as physical exercise. There is a nominal effect on blood pressure because the heat also causes blood vessels in the skin to expand to accommodate increased blood flow. A2005 clinical study conducted by the University of Missouri, Kansas City showed that Solocarbon FIR sauna treatments dilated blood vessels and reduced the volume of their inner lining concluding that Solocarbon FIR reduced both systolic and diastolic blood pressure with regular use.
- Increase Cell Health & Boost Immunity: Several studies have shown that near infrared properties can help improve cell health, enhance muscle recovery and boost immune defenses. A NASA study concluded that NIR LED technology can quadruple cell health and tissue growth. Another study done at the Medical College of Wisconsin demonstrated that LED-produced near infrared helps promote cell health and regeneration. Lastly, a study from The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology concluded that LED near infrared (NIR) restores enzyme activity and reduces cell death by half.
- Anti-Aging: IR improves circulation, expels dirt & chemicals, and removes dead cells on the surface of the skin resulting in a soft, clear complexion. A study published in The Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy showed significant improvements in skin appearance after just 12 weeks of NIR therapy. Participants experienced a reduction in wrinkles and crow’s feet, as well as improved overall skin tone, including softness, smoothness, elasticity, clarity, and firmness.
In addition to the benefits above, 3-in-1 infrared saunas have also been shown to increase circulation, improve cell health, and more. To get the maximum benefits received with regular use, we recommend adding a 3-in-1 sauna or high-quality far infrared sauna to your home. This is an easy addition as they come in pre-fabricated kits that are ready to assemble and plugin, have low energy consumption, and are virtually maintenance free. I recommend Sunlighten saunas because of their advanced, full spectrum technology.